Educator in Residence at American Society of Naval EngineersA gamer by night and educator by day. For 15 years, I create educational materials that are engaging and still can be labeled “standards aligned”. For 30 years, I build civilizations, simulate cities, balance roster budgets, and use forces to defeat my enemies. Today, I use video games to teach students physics, math, teamwork and critical thinking. I create text sets (readings with questions) about technology issues and computer science concepts.
Education Summit Description:
April 16TH, 2019
9:00am – 3:00pm
Objective: Share and learn how video games are used educationally. Find teachable moments in video games.
Summit Description: Great teaching is hands-on and fun! Join us for a summit on teaching with video games you already love. Hear about cutting-edge projects from ed tech leaders, learn from industry veterans, and workshop your own teaching and gaming ideas.
- Orientation to Simulators, Serious Games, and Serious Educational Games
- Discussing funding for ed tech and educational goals
- Discussion developing serious games
- Introducing games that teaches Social Emotional Learning
- Workshop: Measuring your games impact
- Workshop to find teachable moments in your favorite video games
Target audiences: Game developers looking to an educational component to their current or future projects. Educators and game enthusiasts interested in using video games to engage students in learning. Students will attend later in the day to demo products and learn about these opportunities.