ECGC 2019 Sessions
APRIL 16TH – 18TH, 2019
- This event has passed.
Immersive Active Shooter Response Training
April 18, 2019 at 10:15 am - 11:15 am
By Vern Shurtz
Stratus is currently releasing several immersive AR/VR training products to address a lack of Active Shooter Response Training for educators. The main product is a Virtual Reality training app utilizing Oculus and Vive based VR systems and is supplemented with a companion mobile app using Apples AR Kit and Androids AR Core. Educators are immersed in a virtual school environment and they are trained in the preparations, procedures and actions that they will perform virtually along with various scenarios to enhance their knowledge and skills.
The session will start with a brief bio and a synopsis of the event that sparked our development, the Active Shooter incident in Parkland Florida at the Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School.
The core of the session will dive into our development with the following discussion points.
- Training and response issues discovered during the Parkland Shooting investigation.
- Why Immersive Active Shooter Response Training will benefit Educators and address these issues.
- Our 5D development process (Define, Discover, Design, Develop, Deploy)
- Discuss how Unity 3D and iClone, played a major role in our development.
- Discuss how the New iPhone X facial capture capability was used to animate our Avatars.
- Discuss how the Oculus Quest and Vive Focus Plus will play a major role in accessibility for the VR component of our training.
- and finally discuss our initial feedback that we have received during our testing sessions with Educators and School Resource Officers.
The session will close with a future outlook for the training and a Q&A session.