Chief Tyrannosaurus Rex for Glass Beaver Studios
I’m an indie game developer working on my first title HORU, a real-time strategy game similar in mechanics to Star Wars: Empire at War with the added twist that players build the battlefields themselves.
How to create a robust cover system in Unreal Engine 4 that updates itself in real-time, responds to dynamic changes in the environment, uses multi-threading to parallelize computation and efficient data structures for the storage of spatial data. Works with any kind of game.
Based on my original article at https://medium.freecodecamp.
20-30 minutes with Q&A
Downloadable demo project with full source code.
– Why make a cover system
– Generating data – two avenues: navmesh edge-walking and 3D object scanning
– Data persistence: the octree
– Multi-threaded, asynchronous cover generation
– Real-time dynamic updates via Recast events
– Finding & assessing cover positions at run-time: best point selection, projection of unit positions
– Custom collision setup
– AI integration via behavior tree
– Profiling & run-time stats